The day I went into labor, it was completely unexpected! It was Saturday May 1st at about 4:00 in the afternoon. I had been having contractions for the past week or two but these ones were getting painful so I knew it was the real deal. At first I kept telling myself that they were just Braxton-Hicks but I called several people for advice. After talking to my sister, Lauren, we fnally decided that we should head to the hospital. It was 9:00pm. Well, I was in labor but only dilated to 1 cm so they would not admit me. They sent me back home expecting me to be back in a few hours. I tried to sleep at home knowing that I had some hard work ahead of me but those darn contractions got so annoying I finally woke Hubby up at 4:00am so we could head back to the hospital. We didn't make it there until 9:00am on Sunday May 2nd. Luckily I was dilated to 4 cm and ready to roll.
This is where it gets scary. The nurse started to put in my I.V. and suddenly I was lightheaded, super hot and not really aware of what was going on. Of course, everyone freaked. My blood pressure dropped and my heart rate spiked, causing baby girls heart rate to drop! Let the craziness begin. There were nurses running in, doctors being called, ORs being prepped...a C-section was in the works. (My prayers were answered, I wanted a C-section from the beginning!!) The nurse gave me a shot to completely stop my labor. Later I would hate her for this. The doctor on call was standing by, ready to take me to the OR if this didn't immediately improve the situation. Luckily, Baby girl and I both stabilized and we sat around for 4 hours waiting for my labor to start back up on its own.
The doctor was not happy with how slowly my labor was progressing so he started me on some Pitocin. Of course this sped up the process but also made my contractions much more intolerable. The nurse gave me some medicine to take the edge off and it put me to sleep!! I feel like I slept until I delivered. I remember being very upset that I couldn't keep my eyes open. At this point Hubs, my mom and my two sisters were in the room with me and I am so thankful for all four of them!! Whether they knew at the time or not, I loved that they were there with me. Even though I yelled at my sisters for whispering in the corner. When I was at about 7 cm I felt the urge to push with every contraction. The urge seemed much worse than the pain and it was all I could do to not push! I actually asked Hubby to hold my butt cheeks together, haha. The things we do for love, right? Anyway, it felt like forever to get to 10 cm. When the time finally came we had to wait for my doctor to get to the hospital!! Why the nurse didn't call him sooner I will never know but I said very not nice things about her in my head.
Finally the doctor walked in and I was so excited that I was finally allowed to push!! But he had to check me first. I might have growled at him when he said that. He confirmed very quickly that, yes, it was time to push. Really doc, I had no idea!!! Overwhelmed with excitement, I didn't do so great during the first contraction and didn't really feel like listening to anyone. Not that anyone told me exactly what to do, it was more like what not to do. For the record, I do not like being told what not to do. So, the doctor yelled at me. Very firmly and fatherly. It was something to the affect of, if you don't stop and listen to me you can't have this baby. I shut up after that. Seven minutes and one "Let's do this" later, at 9:02pm, Kylee Kay was here!





No comments:
Post a Comment